I need my return done ASAP. What are my options?

Our standard turnaround time is 15 business days or less per filing year.

We value quality above haste; unlike other firms, we don't work in silos. Every preparer at TFX (whether an IRS Enrolled Agent or a CPA) works with a supervisor (also a CPA or EA) to ensure that every return is prepared correctly and optimized to match our client's needs.

We understand that sometimes time is of the essence, which is why we also offer rush service options.

How much does it cost?

Depending on the time of year and the complexity of your return, we may be able to offer rush service, meaning your return will be completed in 3 to 5 business days from the time you sign our Engagement Letter. We require prepayment for rush service at the time of signing, and you may be charged an additional 50-100%. Don't hesitate to contact your tax consultant so we can provide you with a quote.

I’ve never had to file a tax return, but I need to do so now to apply for a Green Card for my spouse!

The Green Card application generally requires the sponsoring spouse's tax returns for the past three years.

TFX is happy to assist.

What phone number should I give the courier service when mailing my return?

These phone numbers are for international taxpayers who must send packages and documentation to the different campuses. If the courier service you’re using (FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc.) requests a phone number for the destination, please use one of the following:


Telephone number







Kansas City




The U.S. and my country of residence use different tax years. How do you calculate my earnings for my return?

We use the prorated earnings and tax paid for two consecutive years covering the entire calendar year.

For example, to calculate your U.S. earnings for the 2016 tax year, we would take 1/2 of the earnings from your Australian tax declaration for the tax year ending 06/30/2016 and 1/2 of the earnings from your declaration for the tax year ending 06/31/2017.

What documents will you need from me to prepare my return?

We'll need general information about your situation and certain supplemental documents to prepare your tax return.

THESE DOCUMENTS WILL NOT BE SUBMITTED TO THE IRS. We only use them to verify the details you provide us when you fill out our Tax Questionnaire (TQ).

THE GOAL IS TO PROTECT YOU from becoming the subject of an IRS inquiry - which is very likely if the information on your tax return does not correspond to the information the IRS obtains from other sources.

General Information WE NEED FROM EVERYBODY



Pay taxes in your resident country

Document showing the amount of tax paid in your resident country - an Annual Tax Summary or a copy of the resident country tax declaration.
For example, a UK P-60, an Australian NOA, or a Hong Kong BIR-60

I visited the United States during the year

A calendar of your U.S. visits

Filed a U.S. tax return in the last three years

Your previous U.S. / state tax return

Have dependent children

Details about your children - names & social security numbers

Received any U.S. tax forms

We'll need copies of these forms (i.e., 1099-MISC, 1099-R, 1099-B, 1098-T, etc.)
They are issued by U.S. financial institutions (such as banks or investment companies) and sent to the IRS and the taxpayer.


Type of Income Earned

Documents We'll Need

Wage Employment

Any document (formal or informal) with your employer's name showing the amount received in wages throughout the year and the tax withheld. Alternatively, your pay stubs

Investment Income/Loss

Year-end financial institution statement

Employer Stock Options

Document with details of the stock options you were granted and/or exercised

Foreign Pension Benefits

Year-end bank statement from the institution where the pension is held

Alimony, unemployment

If the alimony recipient has a Social Security number, please provide it.

Real Estate Income

Proof of mortgage interest paid on rental property

How to file a tax return as a recent immigrant without a SSN?

An immigrant who has become a U.S. person this year will be required to file a U.S. tax return for the first time next year. You should have received your Social Security number by the time your tax return is due (April 15, not including the automatic 6-month extension).

Filing without a Social Security number is possible but not recommended.

What date do I need to send my return so the IRS will receive it before the filing deadline?

The IRS looks at the date your return was postmarked, not the date it was received. As long as your return is in the mail by the filing deadline, it will not be counted as late, no matter when it’s received.

This rule applies to the April 15 (May 17th in 2021), June 15, Oct 15, and Dec 15 filing deadlines.

Why is my return locked pending payment?

Any business must do a few things that we don't particularly enjoy - chasing after clients for payment is one of them. We don't like to do it. We'd much rather be doing many other things - like working on your taxes, taking a leisurely stroll in the park, or fishing.

That is why when we post a document, our system automatically locks it pending payment. Once you settle the associated bill, the file will be unlocked and accessible for viewing and downloading. There are no exceptions to this rule. While most people (definitely yourself) are upstanding clients to whom it would never occur to use the return we prepare and not pay us for the work (or require nagging reminders) - it's not always the case.

Rest assured that the return is already uploaded to the system when you make payment and is ready for your review. This policy keeps everyone honest and makes our respective lives easier.

What are the US tax minimum filing requirements?

Minimum filing requirements - minimum earnings, wages, income.

If you have no income to report, you do not have to file US tax returns

I have a U.K. ISA/OEIC in stock. How should I include this in my U.S. return?

OEICS are collective investment schemes that are treated as PFIC in the U.S.

Each trust or unit share must be reported on a separate PFIC Form 8621.

Did this answer your question?