Table of Contents:

IRS International Phone Number

You may call the IRS toll-free number at 1-800-829-1040. Outside the United States, call 267-941-1000 (not a toll-free number)

Not Received a Refund or Any Correspondence from the IRS

You can only check the status of refunds for individual tax returns filed this year or within the last six months of last year. Please check by calling the dedicated line for International Taxpayers for prior years at 267-941-1099.

IRS Letters - Issues With Prior Returns

If your tax return was not approved by the IRS and you received an IRS letter, TFX will assist you in resolving the issue. It is worth noting that 5% of all tax returns submitted to the IRS are not approved. For more information on how to submit a Previous Return Issue Report in your TFX portal please refer to the Issues With Prior Returns article. 

IRS Payment - Validating Identity

Please go to the IRS website -

1. Click Make a Payment

2. Click Bank Account (Direct Pay), then select Make a Payment. (You will be routed to the IRS Direct Pay Page. )

3. Kindly complete the fields below (The question mark icon provides additional information on each area)

  • Click on the drop-down menu and select Tax Return or Notice.

  • Apply Payment to 1040,1040A, and 1040E,

  • and select the Tax Period for Payment - for example, 2019 tax year.

  • Then click the Continue button. 4. Once done, please click Continue.

Verify Identity page

You will need to fill out the fields with * asterisk

  • Tax Year for Verification – Enter a year prior to the tax year you are making a payment for
    For example: If making a payment for 2019; Then enter 2018, 2017, or 2016

  • Filing Status – Enter your filing status as it was in the year you are referencing.
    For example, if you were making a payment for the tax year 2018 and were single in 2018, then select Single.

  • First Name – Enter the First name exactly as indicated in the box ‘Your first name and middle initial’ on the referenced federal return.
    Example: If your documents have your first name written as First name and middle initial, enter it the same way: Mary J, or Ma Andrea

  • Last Name - Enter the Last name exactly as indicated in the box ‘Last name’ on the federal return being referenced.

  • SSN or ITIN – Do not enter dashes or spaces when entering your Social Security number or ITIN. Only enter the digits.
    Example Incorrect: 111-22-3333
    Example Correct: 111223333

  • Street Address - Enter the address exactly in the box as indicated in the box ‘Home address (number and street). If you have a P.O. box, see Instructions’’ on the federal return referenced; however, if there is a dash or comma in the address, you should remove the symbols and replace them with a space. This will sometimes do the trick.

Used the Streamlined Procedure. How long will it take the IRS to respond?

It usually takes between 90 and 120 days for the IRS to process a Streamlined Procedure submission. You may, however, experience delays due to the IRS’s perennial backlog.

  • If you owed tax and sent in full payment with your returns, then you should expect to receive an additional bill for interest penalties if they were not included in the original payment. This is a good sign; it indicates that your returns have been processed.

  • You will not hear from the IRS if you do not owe taxes. The IRS no longer sends Streamlined Program acceptance letters. If you don't hear from the IRS within three months after filing, you can assume that your application was accepted and your tax account is now in good standing.

If IRS needs additional documentation from you, a request will arrive approximately two months after your filing. Below you’ll find an example of a request for further information.

Checking the Status of Your Return

If you would like an update on the status of your return, you can call the dedicated line for International Taxpayers at 267-941-1099, or you can check the status of your IRS tax account online. (Please note that the online service may not be as reliable for foreign filers).

Note: You can use Google Hangouts to call U.S. numbers from abroad free of charge.

Most state tax departments also offer this option. For example, if you filed an N.Y. state return, you can create an account and check the status of your return online here.

Paying US Taxes While Living in the US and Overseas

IRS Payment Options

Whether you’re paying your taxes in whole or in part, the fastest and easiest way to do so is by using one of the electronic payment options. E-pay options include:

  • Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS). This free service gives taxpayers a safe and convenient way to pay individual and business taxes by phone or online.

  • Credit or debit card. Both paper and electronic filers can pay their taxes by phone or online through several authorized credit and debit card processors. Though the IRS does not charge a fee for this service, the card processors do. For taxpayers who itemize their deductions, these convenience fees can be claimed on Schedule A Line 23.

Taxpayers who choose to pay by check or money order should make the payment to the “United States Treasury.” Write “2013 Form 1040,” name, address, daytime phone number, and Social Security number on the front of the check or money order.

To help ensure that the payment is credited promptly, enclose a Form 1040-V payment voucher.

Interest & Penalties

We do not calculate interest and penalties and let the IRS figure because we do not know when you will remit payment.

If we do not know the date the client pays, then we either overstate (payment date too late) or understate ((payment date too early; IRS sends another bill) penalties.

For more information on paying the IRS, please see this article.

Who is a "U.S. person" in the Eyes of the IRS?

According to the IRS website, a U.S. person is any of the following:

  • A U.S. Citizen, which is anyone with a U.S. passport,

  • A Green Card holder, or

  • A U.S. resident – U.S. resident, is a term used to describe someone who spends more than 183 days in the U.S. under the Substantial Presence Test. U.S. residents are also commonly referred to as resident aliens.

Status “Being Processed” for Several Months. What to do?

Please call the dedicated line for International Taxpayers at 267-941-1000 and ask the IRS to find out the problem.

There may be a clerical error or a mailing error: because there are many potential causes, it’s best to inquire directly.

Please note that delayed refunds for child credits are usually due to a discrepancy in the dependent details (name, age, and Social Security number).

Did this answer your question?